[governance] What is Network Neutrality

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Thu Jan 8 09:34:43 EST 2009

Regarding the growing drive for doing ever more complex analyses under
the "net neutrality" umbrella, I would recommend Sandvig's article
(unfortunately, the English version is available for a price at
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/mcb/272/2007/00000009/F0020002/art00012),
which we have just published in Portuguese in our magazine poliTICs
(www.politics.org.br). If you can manage Portuguese, please download the
PDF version under a CC licence from the site.

In reading the recent contributions (including Sandvig's), I feel most
if not all of them do not take the user approach to NN in consideration.
I mean, I am sitting at a home in X city in Y state in Z country using
XXX ADSL operator and such and such things which seem to reveal packet
manipulation of some sort on the part of the XXX operator is happening.
How do I deal with it, what are the legal/regulatory handles (or lack
thereof) I can use to protect myself against such manipulation, what
political involvement I should consider to change this (thinking of the
brainers who try and write action-oriented papers) and so on.

However, in any case and whatever the approach, I insist in considering
NN (whatever the name you wish to choose for it) a key topic for IGF.

frt rgds

--c.a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org