[governance] What is Network Neutrality

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Thu Jan 8 10:01:52 EST 2009

All,

I like very much Carlos' suggested approach of focusing on net
neutrality.  In addition to addressing edge-content manipulation by
ISPs for whatever reason, it addresses the issue where (1) XXX is a
government, and packets in one or both directions may just end up in
the gulag (and sometimes with their senders and recipients, too!);
and (2) the potentially more beneficial case where SIPs are trying to
do spam control or other damage control of some kind.  Note that this
would also diversion of traffic to alternate recipients, or simply
inspection of traffic in transit (e.g. the Great Chinese Firewall)

There are, of course, different definitions of net neutrality, and
there are some thoughtful and challenging papers that address the
subject.  It's probably worth at least establishing and contrasting
definitions, but more important, understanding what they imply for
users in areas such as privacy, confidentiality, and accuracy.  I
agree with Carlos in that much of what I've seen does not concentrate
upon implications for the user.

I have never seen from an ISP a clear statement by an ISP of what the
ISP does with respect to traffic manipulation (if anything), and I
would think that a reasonable goal should be to establish a framework
that allows/requires an ISP to declare, in simple language or
languages, its policies with respect to content manipulation and
delivery.  This is most necessary and useful at the local level,
where there is one path to the user's computer.  Although higher tier
ISPs have the capability to make the same declaration, it's not
useful to the user in that the routes traversed by packets are likely
to belong to multiple carriers and in theory may even vary, packet by
packet.

This is a REAL Internet governance topic.

Regards,

George

George Sadowsky                              george.sadowsky at gmail.com
2182 Birch Way                           george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Woodstock, VT  05091-8155               http://www.georgesadowsky.org/
tel: +1.802.457.3370                       GSM mobile: +1.202.415.1933
Voice mail & fax: +1.203.547.6020       Grand Central:
+1.202.370.7734
SKYPE: sadowsky
     governance at lists.cpsr.org