[governance] Internet for All ... this time from the UK

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Feb 2 02:28:01 EST 2009

In message <49867410.5000106 at itforchange.net>, at 09:48:24 on Mon, 2 Feb
2009, Guru <guru at itforchange.net> writes
>As I suggested earlier, education in todays world has to necessarily
>include acquiring capacities to navigate the information society that
>the internet is 'creating' and in this sense, 'right to education',
>which is part of the UNDHR, subsumes a 'right to the internet'.

If you are suggesting that Internet is *essential* in order to provide
education  (and therefore a right to education includes a right to
Internet) then I must disagree with you.

But I *can* agree that [electrical] power, PCs/software and some
education (which includes educating the family to permit all family
members to use the access, as well as basic literacy) are necessary to
access the Internet.

>Also Roland, the '90:10' ratio may be true in some places, but in most
>parts of the world is likely to be more around 50:50 or even 20:80
>..... suggesting even greater requirement of global efforts including
>those relating to public policy.

If the ratio is below [approx] 90:10 (which it's obvious is the case in
mush of the world), then it is still possible (and right and proper) to
have an ambition to extend access to the Internet. But don't call it
"Universal Service", because that's a regulatory concept, which requires
the situation where the many can subsidise the few.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org