[governance] right to internet subsumed within right to education

Guru guru at itforchange.net
Mon Feb 2 07:51:19 EST 2009

I did not say that "Internet is *essential* in order to provide
education" as the argument to subsume right to internet within right to
education.

My submission is - in todays world, unless a person understands how to
use the internet and benefit from it/participate in it, his/her ability
to navigate society in a way as to maximise his potential including
availing his rights and fulfulling his responsibilities as a citizen of
a democracy will be significantly affected. The basic aim of education
is to enable the learner to be able to navigate society in this manner
(see John Dewey on education and democracy for more details of this
reasoning). In this sense, the right to internet is subsumed within the
right to education.

regards
Guru

--