[governance] Internet for All ... this time from the UK

Guru guru at itforchange.net
Sun Feb 1 23:18:24 EST 2009

Basically MG is suggesting (and I agree with him) that 'internet for
all' means actual ability of people to use the internet and that needs
to go far beyond 'access' if that only implies putting some
infrastructure in place. There are several obstacles/constraints to
people using the internet and non availability of infrastructure is only
one (albeit perhaps the first constraint that needs to be tackled)...
this includes social constraints (women not being able to access
internet points due to patriarchal pressures is one example), individual
capacities - including literacy, the lack of which means that most of
the text based internet is not accessible (though we have far more av
content now), 'surround infrastructure' including power backups, robust
hardware, relevant applications and content etc etc.

Just as 'education for all' means much more than building schools and
classrooms, though that is certainly an important starting point ... in
India for e.g. the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyaan (the national program which
has education for all as its basic goal) has programs which look at free
text books and learning material, free uniforms, free meals for
children, bicycles for girls .. without these elements, it is clear that
hundreds of thousands of children would not be able to go to school and
universal education would remain a dream. However, with these measures
('affirmative action'), enrollment has risen from around 70% a decade
back to over 95% today.

In the same way, Internet for all, requires several measures (global and
national public policy) .... and creating the infrastructure is one of
them. I am not suggesting that 'freebies' is the only way to go, but we
need to look at different options and see which have a good chance of
ensuring meaningful access and use.

As I suggested earlier, education in todays world has to necessarily
include acquiring capacities to navigate the information society that
the internet is 'creating' and in this sense, 'right to education',
which is part of the UNDHR, subsumes a 'right to the internet'.

Also Roland, the '90:10' ratio may be true in some places, but in most
parts of the world is likely to be more around 50:50 or even 20:80 .....
suggesting even greater requirement of global efforts including those
relating to public policy.

Guru

--
Gurumurthy Kasinathan