[governance] Internet for All ... this time from the UK

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Feb 1 16:21:08 EST 2009

In message <C5C6560F9A524F4B826F15C29FBD7418 at userPC>, at 08:34:35 on
Sun, 1 Feb 2009, Michael Gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> writes
>What I think needs to be added to Parminder's comments though is that the
>simple provision of Broadband access is quite insufficient without the
>parallel and associated investment in socially directed training, enabling
>of locally accessible technical maintenance and support and community
>focussed applications development (as for example in the area of health
>management, support for local education and locally based training,
>environmental management and so on... In the absence of these investments in
>Broadband "access" are simply gifts to the telcos or other service
>providers.

The *universal* access of which I spoke, relates only to the remaining
10% of the population that telcos find too expensive to service using
normal commercial rules. Governments mandating that they *do* service
these customers (at the same price as the easy 90%) doesn't sound much
like a "gift" to those telcos.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org