[governance] AW: [tt-group] FW: GAID

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Dec 28 11:29:47 EST 2009

Avri Doria wrote:
> hi,
>
> does the TT list have an open archive?
>
> Re; the G12 (and even the GXY variant)  suggestion - great idea if and only if we wish to vest Internet  supremacy in the hands of governments to the exclusion of civil society, the Internet technical community and the private sector.
>
> Then again they may be nice enough to let us have a liaison in the room who can, if she/he asks politely and submits it to vetting, make a statement at the end of the deliberations.
>
> a.

Avri

While completely appreciating your concerns I will restate some
questions I have repeatedly raised on this list. Do we basically lack
belief in global policies (polity) of any kind or just in global
policies made exclusively by intergovernmental forums without due
participation by civil society in the spirit of what has come to be
known as 'deepening democracy'?

If it is the former, I consider lack of belief in political systems as
legitimizing  the rule of the powerful over the weaker sections, and is
thus an unacceptable position.

If the later, it surprises me no end that why does civil society engaged
in IG arena never provide or even support possible alternatives of more
democratic governance/ policy options? I have repeatedly spoken of
alternatives developed by WGIG (other than the alternative 2 which was
basically status quo and which does not really address the policy
vacuums) as a possible starting point, but found no response. Perhaps
even more surprising is the fact that any effort to propose any policy
role, even an advisory one, for the IGF, the only really
multi-stakeholder global policy forum, is met with similar resistance by
those who resist other policy options.

What exactly is to be made of this? Do we really not need any global
policies in an increasingly globalised world, most so in regard to
Internet related issues - which keep becoming bigger and more pervasive?
If we need them, who should make them? And what are the transitional
mechanisms towards these ideal propositions? 'No policies' is a
generally recognized position of the already dominant, while the weaker
sections always look for political systems or policies to intervene on
their behalf.

I also consider this debate relevant to the question of the role and
structure of IGF which we are discussing on this list.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org