[governance] IGC

Tracy F. Hackshaw @ Google tracyhackshaw at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 18:04:43 EST 2009

I'm not sure this is common knowledge but Twitter pretty much started and
found popularity as an SMS networking platform for the very reason expressed
by Sylvia (well, at least one of the reasons ;0).

Worked well in the US. Unfortunately the idiotic and unintelligible world of
telecommunications tariffs and interconnection agreements got in the way and
the platform eventually migrated to the web - eventually shutting down/out
the international SMS gateway although there are several hacks still out
there and specific country support as can be found on the Twitter help
pages.