[governance] Rules decide Membership not existing Members

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Aug 26 02:25:57 EDT 2009

In message <874418.82231.qm at web83904.mail.sp1.yahoo.com>, at 19:25:20 on
Tue, 25 Aug 2009, Eric Dierker <cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net> writes
>Oh my Roland!!!  I forgot, there are thousands out there willing to do this work and they want to come and take control.  And they could
>CApture us. What planet did this worry come from?  The evil hordes do not want to do this.  A great goundswell of interested parties would be
>no less valuable or qualified than you and the folks who orginally captured this list.
>
>Those of us who want a Governance to protect the individual user as opposed to the standing self appointed experts and their regime have to
>fight tooth and nail not to be abused and dishonored here.  Are you saying that the people should not have a voice, only Avri's founders and
>fathers should decide the governance of the internet?
>
>So when you speak of capture do your homework and realize that the intent of this list was not to make you and the original members the all
>time majority  ----  but rather to find a governance in keeping with the principals of the UN Articles -- So it is truly you who have already
>captured.

Firstly, you must be confusing me with someone else, because I've only
been on this list for a little over a year.

Secondly, the issue of rounding up 'friends' to capture a vote for
coordinator or charter isn't about those "hordes" having their
individual voices. In this hypothetical scenario (although I have seen
something similar happen elsewhere, so it's not an impossible scenario),
they would be my puppets, and disappear as soon as the vote was over.

(And as for ^groundswell" people having a voice - of course they must
join the list and express their views, that's what it's for. The only
issue at stake at the moment is what rules there should be to ensure a
few individuals don't overwhelm the list with distracting postings.)

Regards,
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org