[governance] Proposal for an amendment to the IGC charter relating to List Posting rules

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Wed Aug 19 07:35:42 EDT 2009

To the IGC Caucus and IGC Caucus Coordinators:

According to the IGC Charter, Amendments to the Charter are made
according to the following process:

This charter can be amended at any time as proposed by no fewer
than ten (10) members and as approved by no less than two-thirds (2/3)
of the members of the IGC. The membership requirements for amending
the charter are based on the most currently available voters list.
In amending the charter, everyone who voted in the previous election
will be
deemed a member for amending the charter.

Because of the events on the list over the last month or longer, the
undersigned have decided to propose Posting Rule amendments to the
charter (attached to this email) that will make it less problematic to
deal with disruptive behavior on the IG Caucus list in the future.  Part
of the problem we are trying to remedy is the fact that the sole
responsibility rests with the coordinators without them having any clear
guidelines or
assistance.

In proposing these amendments we looked at RFC 3683 "A Practice for
Revoking Posting Rights to IETF Mailing Lists"
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3683.txt
  RFC 3934 and  "Updates to RFC 2418 Regarding the Management of IETF
Mailing Lists" http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3934.txt, as well as the
rules currently in effect for ICANN's GA List for guidance.

The proposed amendment contains the following elements:

- statement of the purpose of the IGC list
- set of guidelines for decorum on the IGC list and any other IGC
lists that may be created
- description of inappropriate postings for IGC list(s)

We are also proposing that the coordinators can create, if they desire
to do so, an advisory body to help them in determining when the
posting rules have been infringed.  The decision and responsibility of
when to take action is, however, still left with the coordinators.

If this charter amendment is accepted by a 2/3 vote of the current
members, action for suspension of removal can be initiated in the
following manner:

a. the coordinators decide on their own that action needs to be taken
b. the advisory group recommends it to coordinators and they agree
that action needs to be taken
c. a group of 20 IGC members publicly petitions the coordinators to
consider action and the coordinators agree actions should be taken

The appeals mechanism remains the same as it is in the current charter:

> ? Any decision for suspension can be appealed.
> Any decision to remove someone from the list will
> call for an automatic appeal by the appeals team.

Signed by the following members of the IGC as listed on
http://www.igcaucus.org/

Carlos A.Afonso
Vittorio Bertola
Wilie Curie