[governance] Monroe Doctrin for Cyberspace?

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 16:14:10 EDT 2009

One of the more powerful things in defense of the expansion of human
freedom and equality is one single paragraph of the Declaration of
Independence. (paragraph 2). Its concepts have been -- successfully --
used to abolish chattel slavery, cited endlessly by President Lincoln
(whose fame Tolstoy said would last a thousand years or more), relied
upon by women suffragists, who simply changed the pronouns in the
document to specify that "she" was included in "mankind", and is the
core of Martin Luther King Jr's "I Have A Dream" speech.  The only
time the USA has made historical progress has been in reliance on that
document.  It's also spread worldwide and been cited in countless
reform and revolutionary movements from the French Revolution to the
NOrth Vietnamese and everything in between.

A defense of the IDEALS of American history, what it is supposed to
be, is not a defense of the shortfalls of those ideals, nor does it
indicate selling out to anyone.

IN fact, at any given point in history about the most progressive
thing one can do is go straight back to the roots of American history.
 At least here in the USA, and in Finland where my wife comes from,
it's powerful and basically uncontestable, but very different from
jingoistic talk.

--
Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box #1