[governance] Unsubscribing ACLU (Dateline 1953)

Yehuda Katz yehudakatz at mailinator.com
Sun Aug 9 09:31:08 EDT 2009

karl scribe
> As I mentioned the other day, one of the issues of internet governance is the
problem of separating those things that are mandated by technical necessity
from those thing that are merely one possible way that a technology can be used
but that has ossified into being perceived as the only way.
-

And this statement gives rise to: Why diversity is important.
(The possibility of something being one way or another way)

That question falls into the field of 'Complexity Science'

What Makes a System Complex?

What defines a system as complex, as opposed to being merely “complicated”?

The answer lies in the presence of four factors:

* A population of diverse agents, all of which are
* Connected, with behaviors and actions that are
* Interdependent, and that exhibit
* Adaptation.

Understanding complex systems is important for several reasons:

* They’re often unpredictable.
* They sometimes produce events with global ramifications.
* They’re remarkably robust and can withstand substantial trauma and
variation.

The internet is in a state of 'Emergance'(as defined in Complexity Science),
the spontaneous creation of order and functionality from the bottom up. Icann
has not grasped that concept, nor do I belive it to grasped that concept. Jon
Postel's premis has been exploited by commercial economics, because of the
'Mentality' of those in Icann.

Its not just the Greed, the mentally-invisioned amount$ which can be
Capitolized via channels provided by Icann, it is also the created perception
of Power. My appologies Milton, but maybe if your publisher would have named
your book diffrently than 'Ruling the Root', 'the mentality' of Internet
success would be different. (I'm not blaming, I'm just saying).

So if your intrested in learning about Complexity Science, here a link to a
download (which I would not normally provide), but I think it would help some
of you to open your eyes.

http://www.tactools.org/ttc-video-undestanding-complexity.html

--

Ginger and Ian want to get some work done, my suggestions were only to help
them accomplish that objective.

Let's see what they have to say.

If you don't come to the Mountain, the Mountains is gonna come to you.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org