[governance] Re: [igf_members] US Congrerss & JPA

jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu Aug 6 20:04:50 EDT 2009

Dear Joe,
some more nationalistic bragging.

At 14:55 06/08/2009, Joe Baptista wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 8:31 AM, Carlos Afonso
><<mailto:ca at rits.org.br>ca at rits.org.br> wrote:
>Yes, like the telephone is a Canadian invention and this is why
>until today Canadians control the entire worldwide telephony
>network... or the Scottish control the entire worldwide penicillin market. :)
>
>That is not what I said. Clearly the DNS and the Internet for that
>matter is a U.S. invention. However the subject of control is an
>architectural issue. In telecommunication control is a centralized
>affair. On the Internet control is in the hands of the end users.

Actually it is not. Most of the parts (datagram, "network of
network", etc. [Louis Pouzin], DNS ["11" distributed logic of
telephone and servers directory service on Minitel, the root file of
us in Saint-Cloud (http://intlnet.org/intlhist.htm)) of the Internet
are of French origin. However, the rustic additions that do not work
so well in them truely are U.S. additions :-) like ICANN. And this is
what we try to "take care" of :-) right now with the Interplus
architectural analysis and the Internet presentation layer support.

>However the lack control does not change the fact the U.S. through
>ARPA and later DARPA build the Internet we have and use today.

Correct. Except that I would have phrased "the internet we have to
use today". :-)

Cheers !
jfc