[governance] Re: [igf_members] US Congrerss & JPA

Joe Baptista baptista at publicroot.org
Thu Aug 6 08:55:59 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 8:31 AM, Carlos Afonso <ca at rits.org.br> wrote:

> Yes, like the telephone is a Canadian invention and this is why until today
> Canadians control the entire worldwide telephony network... or the Scottish
> control the entire worldwide penicillin market. :)

That is not what I said. Clearly the DNS and the Internet for that matter is
a U.S. invention. However the subject of control is an architectural issue.
In telecommunication control is a centralized affair. On the Internet
control is in the hands of the end users.

However the lack control does not change the fact the U.S. through ARPA and
later DARPA build the Internet we have and use today.

cheers
joe baptista

> --c.a.
>
> Joe Baptista wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 11:22 PM, Avri Doria <avri at psg.com> wrote:
>>
>>  and what is going to happen around the world as US insists that the DNS
>>> is
>>> theirs, all theirs?
>>>

>> Thats is a difficult statement. But it can be proven that when it comes to
>> DNS the U.S. has played the lead role and it could easily be argued that
>> the
>> DNS is in fact a U.S. invention.
>>
>> cheers
>> joe baptista

Joe Baptista

www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium
The future of the Internet is Open, Transparent, Inclusive, Representative &
Accountable to the Internet community @large.
 Office: +1 (360) 526-6077 (extension 052)
    Fax: +1 (509) 479-0084

Personal: www.joebaptista.wordpress.com