[governance] US Congrerss & JPA

Joe Baptista baptista at publicroot.org
Thu Aug 6 07:37:45 EDT 2009

You are right Karl - what is important is to prevent collisions. That was at
one time to be the job of the TLDA - the organization who's email address
your using.

Unfortunately the TLDA has ended up being a joke and a significant failure
in the eyes of it's own membership. When I bootstrapped the TLDA two years
ago with you we had over 30 members. Today you have five left.

I point these difficult facts out to you in case anyone mistakes your
comments for informed commentary. It is difficult to be considered informed
when the organization one represent is a failure.

cheers
joe baptista

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 10:39 PM, <kpeters at tldainc.org> wrote:

>     I believe the US congress wants to keep ICANN on a short leash
> internally, but impose a mandate on them, withing those contraints, to be
> international in scope and understanding through bottom-up listening. It can
> well be argued that they have failed in much of that listening so far, but
> this is how I justify the two apparently divergent positions.
>    Nations and groups of nations should feel free to set up their own DNS
> including whatever they like. No one is constrained to live with ICANN
> except the US, and many of us use other DNS for a wider view of the
> internet, too.
>    The main caution is to work not to allow collisions in the namespace.
>    Given the trend in American government, it is not so clear that you will
> always be able to see a free press through ICANN and you may well be better
> off with your own.
> -Karl E. Peters
>

> Quoting Vanda Scartezini <vanda at uol.com.br>:
>
>   I do believe the Congressmen in the US has the right to advocate the
>> permanence of ICANN under the US control, as I believe any Congress in the
>> world will react if in their places. But I don't see a reason to not
>> continue to state the need to ICANN to become really international.
>>
>> Vanda Scartezini
>> POLO Consultores Associados
>> &  IT Trend
>> Alameda Santos 1470 cjs 1407/8
>> 01418-903 Sao Paulo,SP.
>> Fone + 55 11 3266.6253
>> Mob + 5511 8181.1464

Joe Baptista

www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium
The future of the Internet is Open, Transparent, Inclusive, Representative &
Accountable to the Internet community @large.
 Office: +1 (360) 526-6077 (extension 052)
    Fax: +1 (509) 479-0084

Personal: www.joebaptista.wordpress.com