[governance] FYI - should IGC respond to DOC re JPA?

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Wed Apr 29 04:43:58 EDT 2009

On 29/04/09 6:11 PM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang"
<wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> wrote:

> The DOC has published a NOI for the JPA
>
> http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/E9-9409.htm
>
> Should the IGC send a comment? I would say Yes.
>
> Wolfgang

Yes I would agree. Any volunteers to come up with a draft statement?

NGOs in the past have taken two distinct lines

1. Some large North American NGOs have argued for continuance of the JPA
citing several problems with ICANN. Those who argue for government
regulation of all things Internet might favour this position in the absence
of any transnational or international arrangements? Is one government better
than no governments given that all governments is unlikely at this stage?

2. Most of the rest of us have argued on principle for removal of the JPA
despite any problems evident with ICANN.

We have until June 8. I can only see IGC agreeing to an argument on the
latter lines - i.e. that despite any problems evident with ICANN the public
interest is best served by ending the JPA. That gives us a government free
ICANN at this stage subject only to the arrangements existent with GAC.

So what would our statement look like? Would we support strengthening GAC as
part of an argument for ending JPA and providing an ongoing vehicle for
governmental involvement?

Any volunteers to come up with a draft statement?

Ian Peter

     governance at lists.cpsr.org