[Fwd: [governance] Workshop proposal - Internationalisation of

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Wed Apr 22 02:11:57 EDT 2009

Hi

On Apr 21, 2009, at 6:27 PM, Garth Graham wrote:

> On 21-Apr-09, at 7:00 AM, William Drake wrote:
>
>> Personally, I'd fudge it and say "globalization" instead.  At least
>> then nobody will assume they know what we mean and disagree
>> accordingly.  And I'd still much prefer that if the workshop is
>> intended to be about ICANN, we just say ICANN, rather than hiding
>> behind verbiage and implicitly conflating ICANN and IG to the
>> exclusion of all else---precisely what the caucus worked to
>> challenge during WSIS.  I don't think it's particularly helpful for
>> us to go retrograde, although I'll roll with whatever has support
>> here.
>
> I know this doesn't help at this late date, but I see
> international / transnational / global as beside the point - which
> is the Internet's inherent capacity to support distributed self-
> organizing relationships.

Well, that's a point, but the point was the one we were discussing.
Each of these words imply different architectures, processes, and
actor roles, all of which matters, as was abundantly demonstrated by
the politics around the IG definition and the lead up to it in WSIS
phase II.  Will be again today at the WTPF.  While which the IGC uses
to describe a workshop is obviously less important than the terms of
an international negotiation, it's better to get it right if we can.
Anyway, Ian's submitted the proposal so onward and upward...

Cheers,

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org