RV: [governance] Statement to OC meeting in May regarding "Internet Rights and Principles"

Ginger Paque gpaque at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 08:08:13 EDT 2009

Here is a starting draft for discussion, please opine:

The Internet Governance Caucus notes the statement from the Programme Paper:
"....Some favoured the inclusion of 'Internet rights and principles' as a
cross-cutting theme". This concurs with the widespread support for this
concept from various stakeholder groups at the February open consultations.

However we are concerned at the decision to exclude it as a theme this year
on the grounds that there is "no established definition of this theme and
that therefore it should not be discussed at the Sharm El Sheikh meeting."

We are surprised by this reasoning for exclusion and request that the MAG
revisit this subject given the wide support which has been expressed. Given
that these matters are specifically contained in the Tunis Agenda (paras 70
and 42) we do not see lack of definition as a reason for exclusion. However,
if it is not possible to include this concept until it is defined within
IGF, we ask that the IGF 2009 include a prominent plenary space to establish
this definition, in preparation for more comprehensive discussions in future
debates and meetings.