[Fwd: [governance] Workshop proposal - Internationalisation of IG

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Apr 16 06:49:50 EDT 2009

Let me have one last go at this to see if we can get some acceptable wording
. Please let me know if the following draft works, or possible amendments
that might make it work. I'm trying to accommodate the range of interesting
viewpoints we have on this subject - that is going to require removing some
of the concepts which require further discussion or we will not reach
agreement

I've changed the original text quite liberally! Let me know if this works

Title

Internationalization of Internet Governance - The way forward from where we
stand today

Concise description (up to 200 words)

The Internet's present governance structures grew out of certain historical
contexts, as well as some new socio-political realities around the Internet.
In the context of rapid changes that the Internet has wrought, the key and
emerging issues related to its governance could not have been anticipated by
anyone. One thing however is clear by now; the Internet is not just a
technical artifact, requiring technical governance with regard to keeping it
running smoothly, but a key socio-political phenomenon requiring
participative, inclusive and accountable internationalization. It is
important to analyze the needs of evolution and internationalization of IG
from various standpoints and the direction in which we might move from here

The workshop will seek to discuss some real institutional possibilities of
what to do next, possibly presenting and analyzing alternative models, along
with the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Relates to theme - IG, CIRs

Who would you approach as co-organizers ? Or who do you think should
organize it?

 IG Caucus would like to organize this workshop..

Ian Peter

PO Box 429

Bangalow NSW 2479

Australia

Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773

www.ianpeter.com

  _____