[Fwd: [governance] Workshop proposal - Internationalisation of

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Apr 16 00:13:25 EDT 2009

Bill, Thanks for your comments. No it is never too late. In any case we
are hardly in a position to submit these proposals on IGC's behalf
without some kind of discussion on them.

 >The title, "Democratic internationalization of IG," would seem to
suggest that some mechanisms of IG are not at present sufficiently
democratic, ergo we're >advocating DI.

Democratic above clearly refers to the process of internationalization,
to  put in a caveat  for those who  easy  conflate  internationalism
just with inter-country arrangements. To that extent, it is beside the
point that I really do think that the present arrangements  are not
democratic enough.  Were they democratic, why would we want to seek any
change/ evolution at all.  Isnt  making all political decision making
democratic our basic political objective. As pointed out in an email to
Milton, democratic is always meant in its nuanced evolutionary meanings
- of constitutionalism, rights, minority protection, civil society
participation for deepening democracy etc etc.

I am unable to understand why the term multistakeholderism as a form of
governance, with  all its deep structural problems and with almost no
historical and philosophical/ political theoretical examination of the
concept, can be used so unproblematically, while use of the
richly-historical term 'democratic' needs to present so many defenses.

 >Wouldn't it be helpful for us to specify which mechanisms we are
talking about rather than leaving it abstract, and what exactly
democratic would mean in these >contexts?

If we accept that US's unilateral political control on a lot of aspects
of IG, and that of rich country clubs on many other aspects, is not
democratic and fair, and therefore not acceptable, about which there is
a strong sentiment that is propelling the internationalisation debate,
we will need to come up with institutional alternatives. Our desire to
look for them depends on the strength of our belief and conviction in
the above regard. But if I do have to suggest  some models, models 1, 3
and 4 suggested by WGIG are not a bad place to start from. Does IGF have
a role, as suggested by a recent position paper of the IGP? Anything, as
long as we are sure that the point where we are is not acceptable.

However, if you wish we give a greater clarity about the mechanisms we
are talking about, i will like to hear your formulation of them.

Parminder