[governance] Workshop proposal - Global Internet Governance - multistakeholder involvement of government, civil society and the private sector

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Wed Apr 15 05:02:44 EDT 2009

Hi Ian,

Sorry to be slow to notice this, busy...

On Apr 13, 2009, at 12:51 AM, Ian Peter wrote:

> Folks, workshop proposals need to be submited in a week. This
> particular subject attracted a lot of support, so I am attempting
> below a first draft of a workshop proposal.
>
> Given our time constraints, can I suggest that rather than debate
> the subject below, you suggest alternative wording and changes to
> the proposal. We seem to have broad agreement that we should mount a
> workshop in this area, but some difficulty in wording a proposal
> appropiately.
>
> I am suggesting an organising committee for this workshop of Bill
> Drake, Wolfgang Kleinwachter, and Bertrand de la Chapelle (without
> asking them)

Inasmuch as all three of us are leaving for Lisbon and the WTPF in a
couple days and Wolfgang and Bertrand are probably as swamped as I am,
we might want to broaden the pool of people involved in drafting,
consulting with the list, and doing the submission mechanics.

> We need a final draft this week.

Then we need more discussion and clarification pronto.

> Title
>
> Global Internet Governance – multistakeholder involvement of
> government, civil society and the private sector
>
> Concise description
>

> The working definition of Internet Governance in Article 34 of TAIS
> is the development and application by governments, the private
> sector and civil society, in their respective roles, of shared
> principles, norms, rules, decision-making procedures, and programmes
> that shape the evolution and use of the Internet.

Per previous I wouldn't want to start from this 'respective roles'
junk language.

> The WSIS documents have explicitly supported the multistakeholder
> model in Internet Governance. However, how this would function in
> agenda-setting, regime drafting, formal adoption/validation,
> implementation and enforcement is  clear.
>

> If the IGF and ICANN are laboratories for the new multi-stakeholder
> governance as we believe they are, this discussion is a central
> contribution to a better understanding of how it can work. How can
> multistakeholder involvement evolve to provide appropriate
> governance structures that work effectivelt for all stakeholder
> groups?

Sorry to be dim, but I'm sort of unclear which conversation people
really want to see happen.  If I recall correctly this started out as
a proposal about the role of governments in unnamed domains of IG,
then morphed into the roles of all stakeholders in said domains, then
morphed into how to organize multistakeholder processes generally,
which sort of has a rather familiar, been there done that flavor to it
at first taste....What exactly needs to be talked about that hasn't
been?

> Relates to theme –
> Critical Internet Resources

Surely it's broader than this.  If it's not, and what people really
have in mind is something about ICANN, maybe we should stop speaking
in code.

Thanks,

Bill

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance
Graduate Institute of International and
   Development Studies
Geneva, Switzerland
william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
New book: Governing Global Electronic Networks,
http://tinyurl.com/5mh9jj