[Fwd: [governance] Workshop proposal - Internationalisation of IG

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Mon Apr 13 01:39:16 EDT 2009

Parminder, my problems with the way you have phrased this is below.

The wording "Participative political governance by all people of the world,
who are all implicated"  will, I think, lead to an argument that the
appropriate participative structures for all people are governments, and
sovereign states are the basic building blocks for people's participation in
internet governance (and so the rest of you can go home!)  Unless we have
strong arguments - which we do - that other players such as private sector
and CS need to be represented separately because of the nature of their
structures and their avenues for richer levels of participation.

I dont think we are far apart here but we do need some appropriate wording.
How about

One thing however is clear by now; the Internet is not just a technical
artifact, requiring technical governance with regard to keeping it running
smoothly,
but a key socio-political phenomenon. This requires participative political
involvement of all people, including civil society, private sector and
governmental actors in multistakeholder governance structures

Ian Peter

PO Box 429

Bangalow NSW 2479

Australia

Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773

www.ianpeter.com

  _____

Thanks Parminder - one small suggested change

>One thing however is clear by now; the Internet is not just a technical
artifact, requiring technical governance with regard to keeping it running
smoothly,
> but a key socio-political phenomenon requiring participative political
governance [by all people of the world, who are all implicated]

Can I suggest replacing the bracketed words with " involving civil society,
private sector and governmental actors in multistakeholder governance
structures

How does that sit?

Ian,

Frankly, I believe that the basic political purpose is to get equal
political representation of all people and all sections of people, of the
world. Multistakeholderism is *only a means*, to the extent it does achieve
the purpose, of ensuring that such participation is in fact achieved. I have
great issues in mentioning multistakeholderism *instead of* participation of
all people. Such a stance underlies a new political ideology that is taking
strong roots in the world, which in my view is essentially anti-democratic.
I have no problem with *also* mentioning multistakeholderism along with
political participation of people of the world.

regards

Parminder