[Fwd: [governance] Workshop proposal - Internationalisation of IG

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Apr 12 23:06:40 EDT 2009

This is an attempted draft for the proposed internationalisation workshop.

*Title*

*
Democratic internationalization of Internet Governance - The way forward
from where we stand today

*

*Concise description (up to 200 words)*

*
*As the Internet becomes a key factor of reorganizing our social
structures, and doing so at a global level as never before, democratic
global governance of the Internet is a pressing imperative. Its present
governance structures grew out of certain historical contexts, as well
as of some new socio-political realities around the Internet. In the
context of rapid changes that the Internet has wrought, the key and
emerging issues related to its governance, and the correspondingly
legitimate governance arrangements, could not have been anticipated by
anyone. One thing however is clear by now; the Internet is not just a
technical artifact, requiring technical governance with regard to
keeping it running smoothly, but a key socio-political phenomenon
requiring participative political governance by all people of the world,
who are all implicated.  However, the direction we move in from here
depends on where we stand. It is important to analyze the needs of
evolution and internationalization of IG from these dual standpoints.

The workshop will seek to discuss some real institutional possibilities
of what to do next, possibly presenting and analyzing alternative
models, along with the advantages and disadvantages of each. * *

*
Relates to theme -- *IG, CIRs

* *
*Who would you approach as co-organizers ? Or who do you think should
organize it?*

It is best that this workshop is organized by civil society actors. IG
Caucus will like to organize this workshop, along with some  civil
society organizations form the North and South that have shown interest.