AW: [Gov 649] Re: [governance] European IGF meeting

jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Sun Apr 12 19:24:23 EDT 2009

At 16:05 12/04/2009, Kleinwächter, Wolfgang wrote:
>JFC:
>Right now the priority, IMHO is to make the Internet governance,
>adminance and rights a european election campaign citizen issue.
>Every help/cooperation to that end are welcome.
>
>Wolfgang:
>This is a great proposal. How we can do this? Should we try to
>identify candidates who could be pushing this forward in case they
>are elected?

I propose to create citizen at euro-igf.eu lists per languages (i.e.
citoyens at euro-fgi.eu en français, etc.) and to create a wiki with a
page available to every list of candidates. When they register they
can introduce themselves, and then develop their positions in using
their own page.

Then every list of candidate or candidate (depending on the country
system I presume?) will have to explain its/her position in response
to our/user questions. We set-up a small team per country to manage
- find the mail addresses
- send them mails
- manage the national wiki page
it becomes a local Euro-IGF secretariat with the national mailing
lists. As long as the person/team want to be neutral, professionnal
and serve (and not to decide) his/its country internet policy and
development, it is OK.

So after the election we can use the Euro-IGF either as a true
on-line Euro-IGF, or as a lobbying tool towards a real euro-IGF
meeting. Also, we will have an interface in every european political
parties. The need is a fine trustable person for each country. I can
register a non-profit non-political secretariat membership limited to
active helpers forming the BoD (one per country is necessary and
enough + adminstrative editor, operations support, moderator and
treasurer [31 members]), to admin the project. I can have one or two
part time French persons to help. Such a thing to work must be very
very mechanic. Taking no position. But asking good questions they may
collect from the users.

I am building a non-profit wikifarm on a dedicated Linux server. If
somebody could help me (MySQL, Mediawiki, some extensions, mailman,
some statistic tools, etc.) we can have something by the end of the week.

>I also agree with you other points related to CS. Probably we could
>linke a EURALO event to EURODIG. Question is funding ;-((((-

Which funding? We are not interested in spending but in acting people.

If france at large do things for 8 years and INTLNET for 31 it is
because we have no money (no banking account). So we do not need to
pay banks, accountants, etc. And we are FREE ! As a result - we have
not been accepted as an ALS, we are not Euralo members, and we did
not come in the Mexico ICANN atlarge incentive vacations.

The recipe is to have people motivated who see enough of action
return on their time investment to accept to pay for one or two
european trips to meeting starting after the arrival of the morning
train in well located places with low fare/hitch-hiking transportation.

If/when the things works the non-profit will manage the relations
with sponsors and T&L for real support.
Best.
jfc

     governance at lists.cpsr.org