[governance] European IGF meeting

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sun Apr 12 17:17:48 EDT 2009

Kleinwächter, Wolfgang schrieb:
> JFC: Right now the priority, IMHO is to make the Internet governance,
>  adminance and rights a european election campaign citizen issue.
> Every help/cooperation to that end are welcome.

> Wolfgang: This is a great proposal. How we can do this?

Such broad campaigns are always tricky. Right now, most of the
campaigning is done around the EU telecom package currently in 2nd
reading, see <http://www.laquadrature.net/en>

FYI: We had a meeting of some German and European digital rights NGOs in
Berlin on 3rd April (most of us were there because of the re:publica
conference and the privacy open space sub-conference, see
www.privacyos.eu).

We agreed to aim for a public statement to be released before the EP
elections, hopefully on 23rd May. It will not aim at internet rights
only, but probably be a more general statement against the growing
surveillance mania, but will also include opposition to internet
"filtering" and related censorship efforts.

We will try to coordinate this with European networks like EDRi.org, the
Open Network Coalition
(http://laquadrature.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opennetcoalition) and
the "Freedom not Fear" partners
(https://listes.globenet.org/listinfo/fnf2008).

I will try to relay relevant updates to the WSIS-EU list. But anybody
interested in helping out here should drop me an email offlist.

> Should we try to identify candidates who could be pushing this
> forward in case they are elected?

A good start for this is
<http://www.laquadrature.net/wiki/Political_Memory>.

Best, Ralf