AW: [governance] European IGF meeting

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Sat Apr 11 16:09:54 EDT 2009

Sorry the resolution was January 2008

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT+MOTION+B6-2008-0041+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN

See paragraph 9

wolfgang

________________________________

Von: "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" [mailto:wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de]
Gesendet: Sa 11.04.2009 21:54
An: governance at lists.cpsr.org; Andrea Glorioso; governance at lists.cpsr.org
Cc: jlfullsack; WSIS CS WG on Information Networks Governance; Caucus Europe
Betreff: AW: [governance] European IGF meeting

My understanding of the EP Hearing that it is a consequence of the EP Resolution on the IGF from January 1997. The rersolution says that a European IGF should be held in the 1st quarter of 2009. So that EP was obliged to do something before the election. April is already late.

I do not see a contradiction between the Hearing and EURODIG. In contrary it gives the whole process more visibility and continuity. This will be a win-win. There was another EP/ITRE Hearing in November 2008 in Strasbourg also with Madame Trautmann. Here we discussed, inter alia, the relationship between EP and EURODIG and we came to the conlusion that the best solution is to see EURODIG as a process with various events (national and sub-regional) in between and one big all-European event which is EURODIG II in Geneva in September this year.

It is nonsense to create an artificial conflict between the 27 member states of the EU/EP and the 48 member states of the COE. We all know that Europe is bigger than the 27 but we also know that EURODIG has to embrace the Commission and the Parliament (and the council) otherwise it would weaken itself and would not be taken seriously as THE regional European IG event.

Lets work hand in hand and concentrate more on substance than on procedures.

Wolfgang