[governance] Re: [At-Large] NCUC Capture Plans

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Tue Sep 23 21:47:54 EDT 2008

Danny and all,

  This is really nothing new nor surprising.  The NCUC is vying for
more power as they have had little if any to date.  This is not to
say that such a capture attempt is a good thing, but currently the
IP folks have had basic control, why not a CHANGE in direction?

Danny Younger wrote:

> The NCUC is putting forward a plan to capture the GNSO's Non-Commercial Stakeholder's Group by calling for plenum voting to select Council representatives.  This plan would ensure that their established constituency (with a large number of organizational member) would outvote any new constituency (with a smaller amount of members) and would thereby elect all of the House's Council representatives to the detriment of any other noncommercial constituent group that seeks a representative opportunity.
>
> Consider the plan as put forward by Milton Mueller to the NCUC list:
>
> Issue 5 – Implementation;
>
> NCUC favors rapid implementation of the new bicameral voting structure. We strongly support January 2009 as the time frame for starting with the new council structure, and see many costs and no benefits from deferring this. Delay will turn the current GNSO and Council into lame ducks that accomplish nothing for an extended period of time, and will sow confusion among noncommercial entities we are getting into ICANN.
>
> We plan to develop a new charter for a NCSG in time for the Cairo meeting, where we will discuss it with ALAC and reach agreement on principles if not all the details.
>
> In anticipation of the transition, we will be electing 6 rather than 3 Council representatives in our Fall election, knowing that the bottom 3 of the top 6 candidates will have to wait to be seated, or may not be seated.
>
> As part of this new charter, we are developing a plan for the bottom up recognition of new constituencies within the NCSG. We have already come up with an outline of a simple 4-step process. The key to making this work is to de-link constituency recognition from the right to elect a specific number of Council seats. We believe that the NCSG member organizations should vote as a plenum for Council seats. This would more fairly reflect the will of the stakeholder group, and incent constituencies who want to elect people to the Council to conduct outreach to get new organizations to join. It also maintains an integrated communication and administrative structure among all the constituencies. It also handles more adroitly the problem of constituencies that overlap. Noncommercial groups simply cannot afford to maintain duplicate organizational overhead and duplicate procedures. We believe that noncommercial user groups have already suffered greatly from the
>  fragmentation of noncommercial participation into NCUC and ALSs, and do not want to see that division maintained. Each constituency, however, would place a representative on the NCSG Executive Committee.

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com