[governance] My blog on the Tuesday consultation

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Thu Sep 18 17:39:20 EDT 2008

Raul,

It may be helpful to observe the facts that sparked this conversation.

Namely, from the record of written statements and interventions in this open discussion, as well as Milton's subjective veew as reported in his blog, it appears/looks like ITAA & ISOC & ICC & USG  (& ETNO?) coordinated to try to stifle 'debate' at IGF III.

At IGF, not in their own fora.

Or should I say excuse me, because I should have said they tried to promote 'dialogue' and education instead of debate?

This is not a knock on IETF or LACNIC or anyone else including USG, it is just an observation of what looks like a coordinated effort to limit 'debate' at IGF. In which technical community representatives were one but not the only players trying this tactic.

So the question perhaps should be more nuanced, why is debate a good thing in some fora but not in IGF?

Frankly it is frustrating to me that folks representing a few of the various stakeholder 'technical' communities at the global level still try to pull this silliness in 2008.

For example, I believe many would agree that perhaps the best shot at sorting through the complexities and inter-dependencies to really make the IPv4  to v6 transition happen, if it ever will, is multistakeholder debate and discussion - including at IGF. Since if IPv4 to v6 was just a technical issue for the technical community to handle itself we might guess it would have been done long ago.

So in my opinion the odds are the very best shot at sorting out the holdups is a very lively debate or 2 or 3, at IGF.  A technical lecture educating the policy masses on how the bits line up would be a waste of time and space at a policy/governance form. As an example of why 'debate' at IGF is a good thing, and not something to be feared. Remember IGF can't make anyone do anything, so I really don;t see what people are afraid of.

Lee