[governance] My blog on the Tuesday consultation

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 16:43:30 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 7:41 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> Even if you believe that real policy decisions regarding addressing should
> be left in the RIRs, as I currently do, what is wrong with debating those
> policy options in a wider forum

"WRONG" as in "EVIL" is too strong a word, perhaps "not optimal" is
better.  Off the top of my head, the non-optimal things could include:

duplication of effort

misleading folks into thinking they have contributed to policy
development (as in "hey we talked about this at the IGF and wanted X
to happen, now Y is happening, what's up with that?")

discouraging them from joining the policy making fora by providing a
"lite" alternative

discouraging folk from participating in a discussion because of
cultural norms that shun confrontation

In any case it's a tempest in a teacup AFAIAC, in reading the
transcript again, I see that all the people you accuse of "an
orchestrated move" use the word "debate" multiple times, they just
added "and dialogue".

--
Cheers,

McTim