[governance] Rights and Privacy: Questioning Google's Privacy Reform

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 03:44:24 EDT 2008

I would be a bit skeptical however regarding Google's practices in
developing countries regarding privacy as most of the developing
countries have no policies in place on privacy and this is a core
threat to the privacy of their citizens.

As I was once in an Information Security association meeting in
Pakistan where the Google country consultant and the federal
investigation authority chief were present and during that meeting
some discussions took place where the investigation authority's chief
requested the Google rep to request Google to share the information
they required for solving cases related to cyber crime.

Now a core issue here is that are there any generally accepted cyber
crime and priacy practices and procedures that countries may endourse
and practice at a global level and even a company like Google may have
to abide to those generally accepted practices in the developing world
countries.

I have been very skeptical about some of the privacy discussions being
oriented towards the western world/developed world forgetting that the
developing world also constitutes a major portion of the internet user
population and that their privacy also holds equal weight as to the
privacy of those internet users that belong to the developed world.

My confidence in any such company's privacy goals stands at a minimum
because such companies have been sharing user's private data with
law-enforcement agencies and even blocking blogs in some cases though
will require some time to filter out evidence on the same.

Fouad

     governance at lists.cpsr.org