[governance] ITU IP traceback standards

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 14 04:37:46 EDT 2008

Lee and all,

  Your may be right that this all may be more smoke then fire,
but given the ITU's history that I know of, I seriously doubt
it.

  Secondly there can never be security without privacy, so I
firmly disagree with you on that part of your remarks below.
Again, to reference Ben Franklin: “Those who would give up
essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety.”  A truly timeless ideal, and one that
was, and I hope remains, a cornerstone of our Republic.

  It is certainly one that many Americans and also peoples
of other nations have fought, bled, and many died for.
And one that I myself bled and personally known and
watched in sadness and horror, die horribly, but proudly for.
So with those memories and experiences, I for one shall
never ever yield!

  Sorry Lee, but I must take old Ben's opinion, my experiences,
on this issue before yours.

Lee W McKnight wrote:

> Sylvia,
>
> From what I gather reading between the lines of the exchanges on this
> topic on Farber's IP list, the most inflammatory language re the
> political justification for traceback was lifted from an unnamed
> consultants' 'private' (ironic claim, given the work effort : ) email
> message, and is not included in an official ITU doc.
>
> So I'd caution the caucus to wait a bit until the dust settles on what
> exactly is being said by whom here before issuing a statement, but
> secondly this does point to reasons why ITU specs may effect Internet
> governance in significant ways, as some of us have been saying all
> along.
>
> Though to be realistic maybe half the standard specs developed don't
> get implemented nor have the reach/impact hoped for/feared, so this
> could all come to nothing. But it is a step along the way toward a
> more secure, though possibly less private net.  Which can be good, and
> bad.
>
> Lee

Semper Fi,
Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com