[governance] Senate Judiciary Committee Approves Copyright Cops

ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 02:09:09 EDT 2008

Dear Jeffrey and All,

[longish, w/current gmail spellcheck suspended].].

Thanks for the further comments, and here is a pro tem reflection upon them:

This is such a compelling topic; guide us further.

I make no claim, and even assert 'minus current comprehension' of the current IP field in particular, and know there are experts here we may hear from with delight and instructiveness.

But about balancing or at least accommodating diverse interests, I do feel passionately, and express concern that moves to prevent or remedy apparent 'intrusiveness' by one entity upon another's turf must be guarded against creating other and even more serious hence unacceptable intrusions in the process.

Here, where and when contemplated 'protections' are said to follow entry and seizure of property (and perhaps especially in the name of protecting property albeit other property) one might suggest that much offended would be 'the right to be left alone,' and so far following the link (more info please!) one sees a plausibly noble effort toward protections for records seized, but plausibly only after the bridge has been breached  ("The court shall enter an appropriate  protective order with respect to discovery by the applicant of any records that have been seized.")

Without presuming to discuss the recording industry's interest in such seizures, and in the context e.g. of say U.S. Constitution protections regarding search and seizure, I was linked in this inquiry to (IP Bill) HR 4279 and hence to section 413 of the Comprehensive Drug 2 Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970 – 21, 3 U.S.C. 853 (ldmf-note: again, this is just jointly a first sortie; if you wish to provide some other links that will be great).

Et voila! One expected 'probable cause' to be the stated standard, and here 'tiz and as usual  - who are the deciders and what are the metrics -  that is a real meaty question.

"(f) Warrant of seizure
The Government may request the issuance of a warrant authorizing the seizure of property subject to forfeiture under this section in the same manner as provided for a search warrant. If the court determines that there is probable cause to believe that the property to be seized would, in the event of conviction, be subject to forfeiture and that an order under subsection (e) of this section may not be sufficient to assure the availability of the property for forfeiture, the court shall issue a warrant authorizing the seizure of such property."

So - If you have time and interest, your thoughts on the above will be interesting to read and react to.

I don't say this is all cut and dried' or these initial notes at all dispositive even on current musings, and would like in the future to discuss the matters of multistakeholder interests viewed in plurality (ref. my "Respectful Interfaces" Programme in the CCC/UN – Communications Coordination Committee For the U.N. (any faults herein are my own of course and not representative of an organization).  But for now it would be helpful just to establish whether 'probable cause' is indeed as glimpsed above the standard, suggesting something is more likely than not and beyond a 'reasonable suspicion' standard but short of 'clear and convincing' evidence (or cognates in different cultural contexts)"

'Cuz before they get to the machine they have to get into the building.  one supposes. <insert here a tentative paradoxical smilie symbol>.

And a slant-reference: When I spoke personally with the Robert Morris Judge decades back (my recall is that) he said he wished he hadn't gotten the "thorny" case & most pointedly, have to  consider the then rather or extremely novel matter criminal (but if still around, his Honor might dispute me on this recollection).

And, facially,  has a "right to."

With best wishes, Linda.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org