[governance] Consensus call on rights theme - yes or no

ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 08:15:29 EDT 2008

Dear Ian and All here,

Thank you for the notification.

I am in accord with Jeffrey's note and appreciate the formulation.

Even more involved now in looking at issues of responsibiliies as well
rights, in multiple venues, I look forward to reading and absorbing
all the present drafts on the issues we are considering.

With very best wishes, Linda M F

(baby gmail access presently not affording spelling check; apologies
for any misses)..

On 9/10/08, Jeffrey A. Williams <jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Ian and all,
>
>   I can, and I believe our members can largely, but with
> some reservations, agree with this.  The more important work
> will be in the actual drafting of the specific "Rights" in the
> proposed "Internet Bill of Rights".  I hope that I will be able
> and welcome to participate in that effort as it is very important
> to our members, and users all over the world.
>
>   Thank you Ian for you great patience in this effort and process! >:)
>
> Ian Peter wrote:
>
>> Please respond within 48 hours with a YESor NO to adoption of this
>> statement so it can be sent to the Secretariat before the deadline.
>>
>> Rights and the Internet as the over-arching theme for IGF-4 in Egypt
>>

>> The Internet Governance Caucus strongly recommends that 'Rights and
>> the Internet' be made the overarching theme for IGF-4 in Egypt, and
>> that the IGF-4's program be framed by the desire for developing a
>> rights-based discourse in the area of Internet Governance. The Caucus
>> has already expressed support for the letter on this subject which was
>> sent to the MAG by the Dynamic Coalition on an Internet Bill of
>> Rights.
>>
>> The IGC offers the IGF assistance in helping to shape such a discourse
>> at the IGF meetings, and specifically to help make 'Rights and the
>> Internet' an overarching theme for IGF-4 in Egypt.
>>
>> A complex new emerging ecology of rights and the internet
>>
>> One important purpose of a discourse on rights should be to clarify
>> and reach greater consensus on how rights with respect to the Internet
>> are defined, how they relate to pre-existing definitions of human
>> rights, and which ones need to be internationally recognized and
>> strengthened. Within this context, we acknowledge that, even within
>> the civil society caucus, differences of opinion exist as to the
>> nature of various rights and conceptual rights and the degree to which
>> they should be emphasized in internet governance discussions.
>>
>> While the internet opens unprecedented economic, social and political
>> opportunities in many areas, many fear that it may at the same time be
>> further widening economic, social and political divides. It is for
>> this reason that development has been a central theme for the IGF
>> meetings to date. In this new, more global and digital context it
>> might be useful to explore what the term "right to development"
>> means.
>>
>> With respect to privacy rights, corporations and governments are
>> increasingly able to extend digital tentacles into people's homes and
>> personal devices, in manners invisible to consumers and citizens.
>> Consumers of digital products thus face new challenges including the
>> right to know and completely 'own' the products and services they pay
>> for. Technological measures to monitor and control user behavior on
>> the internet are becoming increasingly sophisticated, and often outrun
>> public policies and traditional concepts of what rights users have.

> [...]

For further I.D.:
Communications Coordination Committee for the U.N.
CONGO Education Committee
Annual U.N. DPI NGO Conference Planning Committee & Sub-Committes.
National Disability Party
International Disability Caucus
Persons with Pain International
WSIS, IGF, CFP onsite participant.
2007 Nominee: Global Alliance for ICT Strategy Council
Invitee, Harvard and Yale Meetings on ICT rights / Development / Law.
Member Assoc. Computing Machinery./ American Bar Assn, Trigeminal Neuralia Assn.
U.N. Mental Health Committee SubComittee on ICT.
4+ decades on Internet and Prior Nets
Reearch Asst.G.A. Resolutions in Our Changing World.
Other Affiliations on Request.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org