[governance] Consensus call on rights theme - yes or no

David Goldstein goldstein_david at yahoo.com.au
Fri Sep 12 02:29:40 EDT 2008

>From what I can tell, using the definition given for capitalising "internet" means, if one were to carry this definition across to other areas, it should, for example, never be "road" when referring to a "road network". After all, a road network is a series of or network of "roads".

Cheers
David

----- Original Message ----
From: Tapani Tarvainen <tapani.tarvainen at effi.org>
To: governance at lists.cpsr.org
Sent: Friday, 12 September, 2008 4:02:21 PM
Subject: Re: [governance] Consensus call on rights theme - yes or no

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 07:51:51AM +1000, Ian Peter (ian.peter at ianpeter.com) wrote:

> Please respond within 48 hours with a YESor NO to adoption of this statement
> so it can be sent to the Secretariat before the deadline.

You have done a good job, and, with some hesitation, I vote yes.

I would like to suggest, however, as others have done, that "Internet"
be consistently capitalized (I hope inconsistency there wasn't
intended as a compromise...). People might wish to take a look at
"internet vs. Internet" in http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2828.html
on this point.

My second major caveat is procedural, echoing McTim:
doing a major rewrite and then immediate consensus call is not good.
In the present case, however, I think this is better than doing
no statement at all and time doesn't allow much further debate.
So, yes it is.

--
Tapani Tarvainen
    governance at lists.cpsr.org