[governance] Inputs for synthesis paper

Norbert Klein nhklein at gmx.net
Tue Sep 9 13:32:23 EDT 2008

Let me also come in here. I am not sure if it is acceptable how I try to enter
into this debate: I think it is not clear what the purpose of the draft is –
at least it is not clear to me. Of course, in terms of intended procedures, I
know. But...

We seem to be caught in a philosophical debate – about individual or
collective rights.

A few days ago I read in a Japanese mailing list that people in the three very
different communes of Ayabe, Shoubara, and Yukichou, in different regions of
Japan, have organized and try to start legal action because of the poor
Internet connection they have: while a lot of tasks of public administration
are offred by the authorities online (often requiring broadband access to
handle huge documents) –  they are disadvantaged. Others are disadvanaged
because educational programs offered to the public cannot be accessed
reasonably (again: broaband access required) and as a result the people are
educatinally deprived, compared to the majority of the citizens in the
country etc.

I do not have many more details – but I imagine that the people who feel
excluded from what is offered to the society in general do not much argue if
they claim individual or collective rights – they are just motivated to get
over their deprivation, which many individuals felt, some individuals
articulated, and finally a “collective” is trying to get their situation
brought up to the general standard in their society, by legal action.

The debate whether claims are always made in terms of “my individual right”
even when they are made by a group of individuals who may or may not consider
this as a group right, has no commonly shared answer – neither throughout
history, nor in all possible localities.

Do we have to get it philosophically clear, or do we want to point towards
some directions which might be solved by some joint legal activities
(different in diffeent situaios)? If we want to work towards both anyway –
might it then be possible to avoid the unsolved philosophical basis?

Norbert Klein
Open Institute/Cambodia
--
If you want to know what is going on in Cambodia,
please visit us regularly - you can find something new every day:

http://cambodiamirror.wordpress.com (English)
http://kanhchoksangkum.wordpress.com (Khmer)
     governance at lists.cpsr.org