[governance] Study on ICT self- and co-regulation

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 7 10:20:53 EDT 2008

Johathan and all,

  My response is interspersed below...

Jonathan Cave wrote:

> Thanks for this.
>
> Sorry for the language - occupational hazard. I'm not sure what you
> are saying - it seems that you see problems with any form of
> governance per se with the possible exception of direct democracy.
> Even so, some arrangements work better than others in reconciling and
> advancing collective and individual interest (and the many overlapping
> group interests that come and go in between these extremes). The final
> report also draws attention to forces that can restrain both the
> internal weaknesses of these organisations and their vulnerability to
> capture, corruption or irrelevance. Two are competition among
> different (self-, co-, and formal) regulatory bodies and informed
> choice (to participate and/or comply).

  No appology necessary.  I had already replyed in answer to the
"informed Choice" aspect in an earlier reply off list.

> There's lots of self-reg around outside the ICT domain - e.g.
> medicine, financial services, law, accountancy, etc. Not all of these
> fail, and not all the time.

I disagree.  All fail at one time or another for vrious reasons.  Recent
history has shown us all such quite,
and sometimes painfully clearly.

> Of course, it may be that your objection is not to the "regulation"
> part but the "self" part. "We the people" seems to turn anything the
> (US) government does into 'self' regulation - except when it (or its
> 'self-regulatory' dependent bodies - I name no names) tries to
> regulate beyond its borders.
> So, could you be a bit more specific about what you object to:
>
>    * regulation in principle

  I do not object to regulation in principal.

>    *
>    * regulation by an industry group of its own members' actions
>      (codes of conduct)

  I also do not object to regulation by an industry group as long as
there is adaquate oversight, and
that it's members customers are part of the determining process.

>    *
>    * regulation by an industry group of other members of the industry
>      (standards)

  I am very much in favor of standards per se.

>    *
>    * regulation by an industry of others' actions (e.g. insurance
>      companies' 'self-regulation' of claimants and policyholders)

  I amd NOT in favor of industry regulating others actions if others are
it's customers AND those customers
are not an intragal part of the regulation process.

>    *
>    * regulation by a multistakeholder forum

  This is unclear to me.  WHOM are you referring to exactly?

>    *
>    * 'walled garden' controls placed on subscribers and affiliated
>      content providers by vertically-integrated ISPs

  I believe your are referring to TOS'es?  If not, than again I am not
clear on what your are actually asking
here.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org