[governance] Study on ICT self- and co-regulation

Jonathan Cave j.a.k.cave at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Sep 8 06:41:01 EDT 2008

Thanks for this.

Sorry for the language - occupational hazard. I'm
not sure what you are saying - it seems that you
see problems with any form of governance per se
with the possible exception of direct democracy.
Even so, some arrangements work better than
others in reconciling and advancing collective
and individual interest (and the many overlapping
group interests that come and go in between these
extremes). The final report also draws attention
to forces that can restrain both the internal
weaknesses of these organisations and their
vulnerability to capture, corruption or
irrelevance. Two are competition among different
(self-, co-, and formal) regulatory bodies and
informed choice (to participate and/or comply).

There's lots of self-reg around outside the ICT
domain - e.g. medicine, financial services, law,
accountancy, etc. Not all of these fail, and not all the time.

Of course, it may be that your objection is not
to the "regulation" part but the "self" part. "We
the people" seems to turn anything the (US)
government does into 'self' regulation - except
when it (or its 'self-regulatory' dependent
bodies - I name no names) tries to regulate beyond its borders.
So, could you be a bit more specific about what you object to:
    * regulation in principle
    * regulation by an industry group of its own
members' actions (codes of conduct)
    * regulation by an industry group of other
members of the industry (standards)
    * regulation by an industry of others'
actions (e.g. insurance companies'
'self-regulation' of claimants and policyholders)
    * regulation by a multistakeholder forum
    * 'walled garden' controls placed on
subscribers and affiliated content providers by vertically-integrated ISPs
    * etrc.?
Thanks,

J.