[governance] Inputs for synthesis paper

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Sep 7 05:31:01 EDT 2008

Tapani

> I'm not sure what "validity" means here, but I find the term
> "positive right" useful and meaningful. That does not imply
> endorsement of such rights, but of the term - indeed, I find
> it useful primarily in indicating that some rights need more or
> different justification and analysis than others (like, who pays).

There is no doubt that negative and positive rights need different analysis,
that if why we use these categories. As for 'who pays' I never thought that
there is ever any doubt about it - positive rights are claims against the
collective of the political community which in most cases is the nation
state, and that's who pays. This is always the case, I know of no other form
of positive rights.

> I'm sure there are other meanings, too.
> Note, however, that the first two can be treated as individual
> rights without any loss of substance - only the justification
> is collective there.
>
> So, I think one should be clearer what exactly is meant
> when a right is called collective.

It covers 1-3 of your list and a little more as well. The meaning in which
the term is used is quite well-established to be generally understood in the
right meaning. There are many scholarly works available on the subject but I
am referring an article on the concept of collective rights in practice in
India. (pl see http://www.hrdc.net/sahrdc/hrfeatures/HRF36.htm )

We use it in the term in its generally understood meaning in the rights
discourse.

> The (to me) obvious meaning of "right to access Internet" would not
> be a positive but a negative right - but it can easily be either:
> positive if it means state (or someone else) is obligated to
> provide the (financial) means for it, negative if it is understood
> like freedom of expression, that nobody may prevent you from accessing
> the Internet if you can afford it.
> Both could well be argued for, but the meaning should be made clear.

It is used in the positive rights sense - in equivalence to right to
education. If it makes it clear I can change it to 'right to the Internet' -
that makes it clearer.

> First, it sounds like "meaningful" is used as an endorsement;
> obviously the term "positive right" is meaningful, but that
> doesn't mean any positive right is good or useful.

When we say " It may also be
> > useful to explore if and whether positive and collective rights are
> > meaningful in relation to the Internet" We are being as exploratory as
one can. Beyond this, it will be positively doubting it.

In particular I fear the possibility that
> "cultural rights" could be used to restrict freedom of expression.

Yes, we all fear so. Some fears are associated with all rights. No text can
address all concerns completely. We have already spoken more strongly about
FoE earlier in the statement.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org