[governance] Do We Need An Internet Zoning Law?

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Sep 2 05:47:18 EDT 2008

In message <48BBCD78.AE0A08E8 at ix.netcom.com>, at 04:09:44 on Mon, 1 Sep
2008, Jeffrey A. Williams <jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com> writes

>Any business would be illegal IF it didn't have a proper business lic.
>if one was required.

A town (somewhere in the world, not in necessarily Texas) will close
down a local business if it's illegal either:

1) because (as you point out) any business might be illegal without some
sort of licence according to that town's rules or

2) because (and this was my original point) despite the fact that any
business *can* be started without a licence in that town [true in UK for
example], some sorts of business are nevertheless illegal because of
what they trade in.

>Different states, as well as municipalities have different legal requirements.

That's all I'm trying to establish. You should not expect to apply your
own rules (Texan or otherwise) to businesses in other places.

>> >  The Internet is global, ergo borders as far as access are not relevant.
>>
>> This is about the hosting, the running of the business; not access.
>
>  Ah, ok very different criterion than.  Hosting as to local, again depends
>as to legality of content available, on the country and state/province in
>which the actual hosting is.

Good, we agree. So enforce it there first, please.

--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org