[governance] Do We Need An Internet Zoning Law?

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Sep 1 16:40:28 EDT 2008

In message <48B9E757.6806CED4 at ix.netcom.com>, at 17:35:35 on Sat, 30 Aug
2008, Jeffrey A. Williams <jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com> writes

>>Who would act if  an illegal strip-club opened in your small town main
>>street?
>
>  The city council would shut it down, I can assure you IF it ever was
>to receive a business license to open such a business in the first
>place.

I wasn't assuming it ever had a business licence - it's illegal,
remember.

>  Yet personally, I have no problem with Internet gambling, although
>it needs to be properly provided for, and therefore regulated to
>some degree.  The question is as an Internet Right, can this be
>effected on a global basis and enforceable accordingly and effectively?

If you mean "the right to run a gambling site", then no, because
different countries and cultures have a different view of the businesses
run inside their borders.

>  BTW, "strip clubs", ect. are not normally considered "Pornographic",

It's just another form of business where opinions may differ,
geographically.

>I do believe that some limited regulation is or may be advisable
>and possibly even necessary for the greater good.  But such
>IMO, should be determined by referendum vote by the governed.

And as evidenced by your examples, on a jurisdiction by jurisdiction
basis.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org