[governance] Inputs for synthesis paper

Tapani Tarvainen tapani.tarvainen at effi.org
Mon Sep 1 01:29:32 EDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:58:39AM -0700, Sylvia Caras (sylvia.caras at gmail.com) wrote:

> A suggestion that is philosophic not stylistic is whether to
> capitalize 'internet'.  I think we should not.  The internet
> technology seems to me no longer a brand but rather absorbed into
> ordinary civil life and doesn't need the differentiation.

I agree it's a philosophical rather than stylistic issue,
but disagree with your conclusion.

I tend to see "internet " and "Internet " as two different things:
the former a technology, the latter a place. And place names
are proper nouns and should capitalized, however common
(like, say, Moon).
So, "internet protocol" but "in the Internet", &c.

In the present context I suggest Internet is better seen as a place,
a unique such, and thus should be capitalized.

--
Tapani Tarvainen
     governance at lists.cpsr.org