[governance] visas for india?

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Oct 27 13:32:10 EDT 2008

Hi All

I have written to the MAG list seeking clarifications regarding issue of
visas for attending the IGF at Hyderabad. My email is reproduced below. I
will keep the list posted on the response of the organizers and the MAG.
Parminder

_________

Hi All

This is mainly addressed to the IGF secretariat and the Indian organizers,
but MAG may want to explore some kind of a permanent solution to this
recurring problem. I see a flurry of emails on the Civil Society Internet
Governance Caucus recounting various kinds of problems in trying to get a
visa to attend the IGF at Hyderabad. Very similar emails were received last
year around this time regarding Rio IGF. I have also received emails
directly from many others, especially from developing countries, who are
finding it very difficult to get a visa.

 We have heard here about the problems that some MAG members are facing in
getting a visa. One can well understand how it would be with ordinary
applicants. In many capitals, the Indian embassy seems to be insisting on a
personal invitation from the Indian government - the organizers of the IGF -
and the IGF registration document is often not enough. MAG members I
understand are now receiving special personal invitations from the Indian
government against requests. But what happens to other visa seekers?

I do understand that this problem is symptomatic of a new age global forum -
with a unique open character - coming in conflict with the existing
international order, but while philosophically this looks like an
interesting issue, people are lining up at Indian embassies and returning
frustrated. Either the host government needs to give out personal
invitations to all IGF registrants, or the IGF, in its UN status, should
have some kind of authority to extend invitations on behalf of the host
country. But one thing is certain, the present situation is just not clear
and mostly not working.

I request advise on what should these applicants who are being asked for a
personal invitation do next.

On another count; though participants are supposed to get a gratis visa,
very often even when a visa is being granted it is not gratis. Maybe another
round of instructions to the embassies will help.

 Thanks

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org