[governance] visas for india?

Elena Pavan pavan.elena at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 11:59:38 EDT 2008

thank you for sharing this. i have been asked an invitation letter too..
we'll wait to see if there are any developments. by the way, even here
they haven't ever hear of the igf... while i was trying to explain why a
phd candidate has to follow the UN in india the woman at th ephone said
at one point: "oooh! I see now! it is a sort of fair, isn't it?" ;)
take care,
i'll keep you posted if i do have any news from milan
elena

William Drake ha scritto:
> Hi Elena,
>
> I've been concerned about the same due to my travel schedule, have a one
> week window to get the thing, so after seeing your message rang up Markus.
> It is, it would seem, a known issue, one which our MAG reps could probably
> confirm has been discussed.  Supposedly the host ministry has issued a
> circular letter that was supposed to go to all consulates etc. saying to
> issue free visas, but it's not happening and people are having problems all
> over, standing in lines at consulates only to be turned away etc.  I
> wouldn't pay yet, give them a little time to see if it can get straightened
> out.  ...You shouldn't have to have a UN laissez passer to avoid the fees. I
> went through the same thing last year, took six visits to the Brazilian
> consulate and intervention from the capital, but eventually it worked.
>
> Bill
>
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Elena Pavan <pavan.elena at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I have seen on the IGF website that each country abroad posts of the Indian
>> government should release a *gratis visa to the participants* to the IGF in
>> Hyderabad. i just called the agency the italian indian consulate indicated
>> me in milan and, apparently, gratis visas will be released only for those
>> who own a UN passport (I did not even know that there is a UN passport, mea
>> culpa). for other participants turistic visas for something around 70€ will
>> be released or business visas for 120€ (plus expenses to go to milan or to
>> pay exeditions). is it just me having heard this? not that it is a problem,
>> it is not so much money but if it is the way it works then maybe the host
>> country website should say that -the way it looks like now seems to suggest
>> that everyone will have a visa for free/gratis. it is also possible that, as
>> often happens, italian organizations might suffer from some leak...in that
>> case  i will deal with this -and i'm sure money will have to be paid anyhow.
>> please, do let me know.
>> I'll see you soon.
>> Elena
>>
>> --