[governance] visas for india?

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Mon Oct 27 11:31:31 EDT 2008

Hi Elena,

I've been concerned about the same due to my travel schedule, have a one
week window to get the thing, so after seeing your message rang up Markus.
It is, it would seem, a known issue, one which our MAG reps could probably
confirm has been discussed.  Supposedly the host ministry has issued a
circular letter that was supposed to go to all consulates etc. saying to
issue free visas, but it's not happening and people are having problems all
over, standing in lines at consulates only to be turned away etc.  I
wouldn't pay yet, give them a little time to see if it can get straightened
out.  ...You shouldn't have to have a UN laissez passer to avoid the fees. I
went through the same thing last year, took six visits to the Brazilian
consulate and intervention from the capital, but eventually it worked.

Bill

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Elena Pavan <pavan.elena at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have seen on the IGF website that each country abroad posts of the Indian
> government should release a *gratis visa to the participants* to the IGF in
> Hyderabad. i just called the agency the italian indian consulate indicated
> me in milan and, apparently, gratis visas will be released only for those
> who own a UN passport (I did not even know that there is a UN passport, mea
> culpa). for other participants turistic visas for something around 70€ will
> be released or business visas for 120€ (plus expenses to go to milan or to
> pay exeditions). is it just me having heard this? not that it is a problem,
> it is not so much money but if it is the way it works then maybe the host
> country website should say that -the way it looks like now seems to suggest
> that everyone will have a visa for free/gratis. it is also possible that, as
> often happens, italian organizations might suffer from some leak...in that
> case  i will deal with this -and i'm sure money will have to be paid anyhow.
> please, do let me know.
> I'll see you soon.
> Elena
>
> --
> Elena Pavan
> PhD Candidate
> DSRS University of Trento
> Piazza Venezia 41
> 38100 Trento
> Italy
>
> E-mail: elena.pavan at soc.unitn.it
>        pavan.elena at gmail.com

William J. Drake
Center for International Governance
Graduate Institute for International and
 Development Studies
 Geneva, Switzerland
william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
http://tinyurl.com/38dcxf