[governance] IGF, Hyderabad

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Nov 18 22:39:22 EST 2008

Bill and Jean-Louis,

We have been seeing some degree of concern over the lack of CS engagement
with the increasing role that ITU plays in IG and in shaping the future of
the Internet. Of course some of us have been expressing this concern for
much longer.

I remember that when I heard a passionate intervention of Bill’s during a CS
meeting convened by APC in September on the sidelines of the MAG
consultations, it set me thinking even more about how to get IGC to engage
with the ITU.

Later there were some more emails on the issue of IP trace-backs work being
done by the ITU – and I remember one by Fouad – seeking a IGC/ CS stand on
the issue.

I propose that we shape for more active engagement with ITU, and for this we
set up an IGF standing working group on ITU engagement, or whatever. This
group can feed into IGC issues of greatest current importance, and those
which are soon forthcoming, apart from suggesting a longer horizon
engagement, and also perhaps their views on it, and such. Giving some clear
shape to our possible engagements with the ITU is also important in view of
the forthcoming ITU’s “World Telecommunications Policy Forum” early next
year, which seems to be poised to get into some very significant issues. The
same group could look into issue of structuring CS engagement with the ITU.
Wont be bad if we try to propose some such structure on behalf of IGC as an
entity, and see their response.

I propose that Bill, Jean-Louis and Fouad be the initial members of this
group, and whoever else wants to can opt-in. Since among these three, Bill
has had the longest engagement with this group, I suggest he convenes the
group on IGC’s behalf. Others may give their comments. Thanks.

Parminder

  _____