SV: [governance] IGF, Hyderabad

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 18 23:45:25 EST 2008

Wolfgang, Bill, other IGC participants, and Transition team
(auto-fwd'ed),

  I have to wonder why the ITU doesn't have a completely open
membership, especially in the light of the new attitude that president
Elect Obama has called for, for a much more open and transparent
international relationship with all entities, individuals, and
stakeholders?
Is there something that the ITU is concerned about in that direction?
Those of us with good and noble intentions, of good shared interests
and conscience hopefully will be calling for such.  Can we do this?
YES WE CAN!  >:)

  So Wolfgang, Bill, Ian, Janaette and Parminder will you take the
pledge?

Kleinwächter, Wolfgang wrote:

> Parminder
>
> this is a good step which we have to take and I can aonly support your proposal. Bill who has raised this issue again and again is the right man at the right place to get a mandate from ther IGC and I will be ready to join the small "Drake Committee". Toure said in Cairo that the door is open for CS. Lets try to get it.
>
> During WSIS (before Antalya) I had various disucssions with Richard Hill and Robert Shaw who already at this time tried to help to open the door for CS to ITU. Their proposal was to have a broad interpretation of "sector members" but one big barrier was the high fee which sector members have to pay. Antalya was one step in the right direction. The weakness of the process so far is, that the ITU Working Group which was established to explore the possibilities of CS involvement in ITU is open only for member states. CS has no voice (and certainly no vote) in this process. There are some reports of this WG to the ITU Council but a new decision can be made only by the next ITU Plenipotentiary Conference scheduled for Mexico in 2010.  So far the only way CS can become engaged is via sector membership.
>
> Toure said in Cairo that they now have abolished the fee for CS organizations which can proof that they are really non-commercial. But he said also that a CS application needs the surpport of the the relevant government of the member state where the CS is at home. Certainly this "governmental screening" does not work. Imagine if a CS organisation critizising its govenrment at home for stupid telecom policy has to go to the minister and ask for a signed letter of support for ITU sector membership?  This is nonsense. Even more, what about international / global CS units which operate as networks? Like the IGC? Which is the relevant administration? Is it the Indian govenrment because Parminder as the chair has Indian citizenship?
>
> I am following the debate since 1994 when the ITU Plenipotentiary Conference in Kyodo opened as first intergovernmental UN organisation its door to non-govenrmental units by establishing - into the constitution - a new membership category (with limited rights) which was called "sector membership".  This was really an innovation in international law. Other organisations working closely with NGOs - like UNESCO - do not have such a constitutional paragraph for "membership". NGOs in UNESCO are assoicated but are not members. The reason for the ITU to be "innovative" at this time was the privatization of telecommunication in many countries which lead to the disapperance of a lot of PTT ministries. ITU needed (just for survival) the new players (and their money).
>
> The aim should be that the ITU in Mexico extend this non-governmental membership status in the ITU to enable WSIS accredited CS entities to participate as non-commercial units without a fee.

> [...]

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04