Remote participation plans Re: [OCDC] Re: [governance] Do we

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri May 30 15:36:37 EDT 2008

Ken, Ginger, Jeremy:
This is an important discussion. I think by emphasizing the lack of
participation under existing mechanisms, Ken may be missing the main
point that Jeremy and Ginger are making with respect to online
participation in IGF. The primary issue is the development of an ongoing
virtual community, and the opening up of the Secretariat in ways that
sustain, grow, and feed upon that community.

Remote participation in the physical forum is, at least to me, a
significant but secondary issue, because the meeting is, after all, a
physical meeting, and it is almost impossible for non-physical
participants to have anything but secondary or even marginal status in
those events.

Of  much greater concern is the cool or uncomprehending reception
afforded Jeremy's call for "a new platform ... which allows
administration and editing functions to be distributed between the
Secretariat and volunteers from the stakeholder groups, who may be
delegated responsibility for maintaining particular functions or
resources..." There is a burgeoning literature on how open,
peer-production processes can sustain organizations, and while the
application of these ideas to IGF would not be simple, it is a challenge
that should be embraced if the Forum wants to realize its promise of
innovative governance.

I don't think it would be controversial or out of place to say that the
IGF website could hardly get any worse than it is now, so I am not sure
what values are threatened by accepting some innovation along those
lines, or what values are preserved by sticking with the status quo.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org