Fwd: [governance] Mercenaries on the list

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Sat May 24 21:50:34 EDT 2008

Rui Correia [24/05/08 20:05 +0200]:
>Barring your comment about "sweetly paranoid", which escapes me, you
> are speaking to a fellow African, equally wounded by the general
> levelling of our delegates as "per diem bloodsuckers", as if nobody
> from Africa or other developing regions contributed anything.

Let me put this in context. I run the fellowships program for a large
asiapac technical conference (www.apricot.net)

I have run into several obviously deserving cases, and have, over the past
5 years, extended fellowship to them.

The problem is that every time a call for fellowships is announced, I and
my colleagues ALSO get inundated with a set of applications from the "per
diem bloodsucker (you said that bloodsucker word, btw, not I)" category.

You will be familiar with that type of person / NGO, living in Africa..
just as familiar as I am with their asian counterparts  - in fact the same
type of organization that likes to receive those little brown envelopes to
make points in favor of a particular business interest. I am not making a
blanket generalization here at all. Just pointing to a growing class of
people who thrive on making money out of this situation (and for whom
budgets and grants that would look like a pittance in dollars or euros is
actually a kings ransom when spent locally)

> 1.anybody - including you and and I - could have received an envelope
> to argue against the current (were that not the case there wouldn't be

COULD have received?  Asking someone to prove the negative is as old a
debating fallacy as various others that you mentioned (such as ad hominem)

If you like, please do try to prove that any of us here is getting a penny
from ICANN (me for instance).

	suresh
     governance at lists.cpsr.org