[governance] Mercenaries on the list

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat May 24 13:17:34 EDT 2008

My China!

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 7:11 PM, Rui Correia <correia.rui at gmail.com> wrote:
> With all due respect

not a very respectful post, but as I think I can hit this for six,
i'll have a go..

> Methinks that when the dialogue become frank enough for people to
> begin voicing things like "people we trust to represent us",
then it
> is time to admit something that I said a long time ago: how do we know
> that the people on this list are who they say they are?

Do you think that people have subbed to the list with assumed
identities, or are you saying that those who have participated in the
recent heated posting are agent provocateurs?  Both assertions are
equally laughable.  Who do you think has the budget to place such
agents, and why would they care about a list that has no actual
decision making power when it comes to passing bits?

 How do we know
> that the list has not been infiltrated by whoever might it be that
> works against the interests of civil society?

As SR said, define that please.  I have offered a dozen definitions
all of which include the exisiting IG organisations that have been
excluded, a priori, from being nominated in 2008 by us to the MAG.  As
I have said long ago, and many times since CS interests ARE in the
current BUTOC system that works so well.  Can you tell me what you
think CS interests are?

> Judging from recent posting, I would dare say that there are a number
> of mercenaries on the list - some so blatant ans passionate about the
> interests that they defend that they have blown their cover.

So now, one can't be passionate unless they are a "mercenary"?
Everyone is passionate about their positions, so by that logic, we (on
this list) are all then mercenaries, no?

I'd be happy to detail exactly what I have made, cash in the bank wise
on IG projects in the 3 years I've been on the list:

 Zero, Bupkiss, Sweet Fanny Adams.

I doubt that the same is true for many others on this list, or those
who Veni calls CS-IGPs.  I would welcome full disclosure of list
members sources of IG income, so all of our conflicts of interest are
right out there in the open for all to see.

Oh, and when I speak here in Uganda, and am "facilitated", I take just
enough cash out of the envelope to pay for a bit of fuel, and give the
rest back (except the first time, as I had no clue how much was in the
envelope and was really embarrassed there was so much in their when I
got home and looked).

> Tenho dito! ('I have spoken', as they say in Portuguese)

and how sweetly paranoid it was too!

--
Cheers,

McTim