[governance] Mercenaries on the list

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue May 27 03:18:52 EDT 2008

Apologies for the delay in my response, been in the bush, connecting
rural communities.

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Guru <guru at itforchange.net> wrote:
> Suresh
>
> Repeatedly on this list, I (and Parminder and others) have sought the
> definition of the 'technical community'. This term is being used ambiguously
> to reflect two different ideas:
>
> a. people who have technical expertise - such as yourself, McTim, Carlos,
> Izumi etc etc
> b. Organizations that are currently performing Internet
> Administration/Governance (who we termed as IAB in a earlier discussion on
> the list) - which basically implies the people who represent them

Why can't it be both a and b?  People and orgs? Id on't see any
confusion there.  What you fail to understand is that, by and large,
your "IABs" don't represent people, they act as fora for people to
represent themselves (or do you mean in the "represent in the MAG"
sense?

> I don't think it is anyones case that the first group is to be completely
> kept out of CS. If that is what you are implying in your mail below, that is
> the position of Parminder and Milton , then I suggest that it is a
> misrepresentation.

Not completely, but certainly not to be nominated by this caucus
according to the nomcom 2008!

> On the other hand, wrt IAB, the position of IGC is clear. See the the Civil
> Society Internet Governance Caucus's Inputs for the Open IGF Consultations,
> Geneva, 26th February, 2008 -
> http://www.igcaucus.org/IGC%20-%20MAG%20Rotation.pdf
>
> "We agree that the organizations having an important role in Internet
> administration and the development of Internet-related technical standards
> should continue to be represented in the MAG. However, their representation
> should not be at the expense of civil society participation".

This doesn't mean (however much you want it to mean) that IGC members
who are full time staff of these bodies should be excluded from our
nomination the the MAG.

> As I mentioned in my previous mail, IGC selects members for the CS quota.
> Hence it seems clear to me that IABs (being people who represent IABs)

But what if they are representing themselves, in their "personal capacity"?
Since we HAVE done it before, I'd like to know what "precedent" the
nomcom referred to.  Do you remember?

--
Cheers,

McTim